- CLARKSON UNIVERSITY
Job Title: Marketing Communications Strategist
FLSA Status: Exempt
Department: Marketing and External Relations
Title of Manager/Supervisor: Director of Interactive Marketing
Number of Employees Reporting to this Position: 0
Range: $57,000-$66,000 salary based on experience
The marketing communications strategists is responsible for developing and implementation of marketing communications strategies and comprehensive plans to achieve goals that advance University executive messages, community engagement and impact on University reputation; admissions growth and spotlighting Clarkson in signature areas.
Collaborate with Marketing and External Relations team, senior leadership, faculty and administrators to develop and prepare communication strategies and implement tactics that are consistent with the University brand and which will successfully share executive messages, support growth in admissions; and increase financial support of institution and encourage lifelong engagement of stakeholders.
Work includes but is not limited to:
- Using market research and university strategic plan and plans for operating units to translate concise and quantifiable business goals into marketing communications and activities.
- Serve as project manager, editor or principal writer for print and electronic communications pieces for both internal and external audiences to support executive messages, community engagement and admissions and fundraising strategies, including: project summaries, proposals for individuals or organizations, project summaries for an array of strategic goals, and other materials as assigned.
- Implements comprehensive marketing communication plans for assigned school and unit-level tasks in a precise effective manner, to include, but not limited to, writing, editing, obtaining approvals, managing photo sessions.
- Initiate and prepare white papers, articles and commentaries on individuals such as donors, alumni, students, and faculty to support the strategic plan, the University mission, and operating plans.
- Ensures all products are of highest technical standards in the areas of content, design and impact. Present material in writing, graphic presentations and other communications media.
- Create content for electronic and web newsletters flyers, and direct mail pieces as needed and create, develop and update strategic content for web site. Independently obtain necessary knowledge and skills to keep up with technology and evolving ways of doing business.
- Provide writing support as needed for alumni magazine, admissions materials or other publications and direct stories and article ideas to magazine team.
- Write customized acknowledgement letters for senior leadership to effectively express gratitude to donors and supporters of different levels.
- Demonstrated knowledge of correspondence, white papers, marketing materials and reports.
- Knowledge of Microsoft Word, Excel, and PowerPoint; Ability to work in University's enterprise and content management systems.
- Strong project management skills
- Ability to interact effectively with a wide variety of people and to gather and synthesize information by means of interviews and research
- Ability to work both collaboratively and independently.
- Ability to organize information for effective presentation in publications, web sites, and other media.
- Ability to develop, package and produce editorial content for web site
- Commitment to the highest standards of customer service and professionalism.
Health & Safety: All staff has a statutory responsibility to take reasonable care of themselves,
others and the environment and to prevent harm by their acts or omissions. All staff is therefore
required to adhere to the University's Health, Safety, and Environmental Policy & Procedures.
Minimum: Bachelor's degree i
Preferred: Master's degree
Five to eight years of professional experience in business or technical writing, communications, media relations, or related field, preferably in higher education. on.
Excellent writing, editing and proofreading skills and the ability to adjust writing level and voicing to address different segments of audience. Knowledge of standard concepts, practices and procedures related to the position, including:
Expertise in use of English grammar, punctuation, and syntax; familiarity with appropriate software applications; and an understanding of institutional branding and positioning strategies.
Past experience in higher education and specifically in admissions, fundraising or executive communications
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is occasionally required to stand, walk, sit, bend and stoop. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 25 pounds.
DISCLAIMER: The above statements are designed to indicate the general nature and level of work
performed by employees assigned to this classification. They are not intended to be construed as an
exhaustive list of all duties, responsibilities, skills, and qualifications required of personnel so